Soul Shamans

Art Dolls & Process Paintings ~ Camilla La Mer

Friday, April 3, 2009

My 50th Birthday Life Mask Ritual


I used deer antler tips for the horns. She ended up looking like a Viking from under the sea!


I poured acrylic paints right into my hands and rubbed it directly onto the plaster. I like the crackly effect that happened naturally with the many layers of paint.



I used long strands of horse hair combined with yarn and "seaweed" for the hair.

My 50th Birthday is on Monday. I decided to experiment with life-mask construction in honor of the occasion. I have been drawn to explore mask making for a while now. I spent much of this week in my basement applying bandages soaked in plaster to my face while looking in a mirror that I attached to my painting easel.

The journey has been powerful, revealing, at times unsettling, a bit allergic, sometimes comical, and quite intriguing overall. I made three masks in one day. I began the process by placing a blob of plaster directly into my eye. When my vision returned, I had some fun learning about the layering and shaping process. I also learned that removing Vaseline from my hair is quite challenging!

I have a sense that I have been giving birth to myself in the basement this week. I still have two masks left to decorate...Doing this process alone was quite an intense experience both physically and emotionally. I am looking forward to exploring it further possibly in a group setting...

9 Comments:

At April 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM , Blogger dochoamom said...

She/You are beautiful Camilla... Wonderfully done... can't wait to see the other two...

And need I say !!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

You so don't look 50!

Love, Deb

 
At April 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Carol- Beads and Birds said...

As with all your work, I am compelled to enlarge the picture and study every inch. I sea your love of the sea...but horns?

50's not so bad. I saw that one a few years ago. I think 60 just may bother me tho.

 
At April 4, 2009 at 6:58 AM , Blogger Susan Elliott said...

What a powerful image -- the Viking horns were not the first or even the second things I noticed. The overall image is so strong and beautiful -- all the feathers and the butterfly lifted my spirits. What a proud and gorgeous way to enter your next decade.

But, I have to say, that the thought of you in your basement making your masks, though an emotional experience for you...made me laugh out loud. For real. Not that LOL little titter thing but really laugh and smile. And then, the idea of a group doing it together really made me smile. Oh, we could generate all kinds of endorphins and need Depends at the end of that exercise.

Hope your pains have subsided and your finding your balance. It's always good to "hear" from you. xo Susan

 
At April 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Talking Horses Arts said...

I am going to be busy Monday..sooo...Happy Birthday and many happy returns!!
You do realize of course you cannot read this till Monday right?
The masks are amazing..wonderful and
intriguing! Thanks so much for sharing!
Andrea.

 
At April 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

What a FABULOUS mask - I'm so looking forward to seeing the other two...

 
At April 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Padparadscha said...

Happy Birthday Camilla !

 
At April 11, 2009 at 7:09 PM , Blogger Pursuing Art... said...

Happy 50th Birthday Camilla! Your life mask is beautiful and that you made the mask of yourself is wonderful! I can only imagine the trials and tribulations of doing this by yourself with plaster and you even made three...wow! I couldn't help but smile when you mentioned when your vision returned and trying to get Vaseline out of your hair...oh, dear! I think doing it in a group or with friends is a great idea. It is an amazing piece with so much texture. I love the color and I especially adore the feathers and butterfly. What a magical birthday gift for you to treasure!

I was sorry to read that you haven't been feeling well. I hope the pain is subsiding and that you are feeling better! The collage of you and George is delightful. Medicine man is glorious and you and your daughter are beautiful! How wonderful to have her home with you and help during your surgery! I thought I left a message on the post of you and your daughter...something must have come up or I'm losing it with the age thing! ~wink~

Looking forward to seeing your magic touch on your other masks. Sending healing thoughts your way and hope you are having a nice weekend...~Lisa

 
At April 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Robin said...

Happy (belated) Birthday wishes for the whole of your 50 year! I am so glad you were born and that your path crossed mine a while back! 50 was a fabulous year for me... hope it will be for you too. Hugs, Robin A.

 
At April 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM , Blogger Jacky said...

Happy 50th Camilla (a little belated I'm sorry). I hope you had a very special day.

Can you please email me with your address as I seem to have mislaid it (I am sure you sent it to me earlier).

I have your package all ready to go and have searched my emails high and low as I was sure I had your address, but to no avail.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home