Soul Shamans

Art Dolls & Process Paintings ~ Camilla La Mer

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Keeper Of The Keys

camilla la mer, art dolls, shaman dolls, spirit dolls, healing dolls, jungian art, jungian psychology, owls, process art, the sea
Here is one of my recent spirit dolls. He is called "Keeper Of The Keys." His shape and picot beading around his edges were inspired by Robin Atkins' book "Spirit Dolls." I had an insight prior to his creation about the ways that I can keep myself trapped behind the bars of cages that no longer serve me. I realized that the door to the cage can be standing wide open inviting me to fly free from my former constraints and feelings of bondage and I can still choose to pull the bars back over myself like a warm and familiar blanket. I am challenging myself to assess these patterns and the construction of this amazing Soul Shaman has led me to new and powerful insights and discoveries about myself and the world. I randomly chose the black and white batik fabric without knowing that I would experience an astounding encounter with a black and white Barred Owl during this creative process! I had no intention of including the sea in this process until I was called to place the iridescent fish bead in the center of the body. The words that I heard as I held the fish tentatively in place were "To truly heal, you must return to the sea." I immediately secured the fish to the body!

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At November 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Carol- Beads and Birds said...

What a lot of symbolism in this doll! Interesting that you were compelled to add the fish and equate healing and returning to the sea. I know about that cage with the open door. Sometimes I wish I had gone out years ago, then I wonder if I didn't because I really didn't want to. I need a shrink!

I'd love to hear about the encounter with the owl.

 
At November 10, 2008 at 12:57 AM , Blogger Robin said...

This has got to be one of the most powerful dolls I've ever seen... Keeper of the Keys... Geeeezst, and a wad of keys he has. I need to think about making a doll like this... for the same reasons as you.

Love the detail shots in the next post too. Wow!

Robin

 
At November 27, 2008 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Padparadscha said...

Yes, a very powerful doll and quite scary too.

It makes me think of the Buddhist Tibetan keepers of faith - you know, the monsters with big teeth.

Is this doll making sure you don't lose the keys, or is it guarding the door ? Do you see a relation with the story of Bluebeard ?

I really love your art and I realise you've inspired my november BJP page (still in progress - not posted yet).

Hugs.

 
At November 27, 2008 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Camilla La Mer-Soul Art Dolls said...

Thank you Carol, Robin, and Helene! The messages from this doll are still unfolding. I did have an unusual experience following the doll's completion. I had many sets of keys made at the store, both work and personal, I lost all of them before I even got out of the store. I repeatedly lost my keys over a ten day period...Yes, Bluebeard has played a "key" role in the unfolding of my life story...insightful. This is a fascintating journey...

 
At November 27, 2008 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Padparadscha said...

Thank you for your answer Camilla. Bluebeard is important for me too. On the subject of losing things,
I've had all my rings breaking for a year. I think I finally got the message :o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home