Soul Shamans

Art Dolls & Process Paintings ~ Camilla La Mer

Thursday, November 27, 2008

My First Dolls-Thanksgiving Gratitude





My first art dolls came through to me during my first year in Boulder three years ago today-Thanksgiving. They came from a painting that I had just completed of a cougar with a little girl. I covered the painting in jewels, mirrors, and feathers when it was done. I was so mesmerized by the process that I didn't attend a dinner gathering.

The cougar has wings that are jeweled and embroidered. The little girl has two sides. One joyful and one very sad. The cougar is very protective of her and carries her on amazing journeys of discovery. All of my work has been art dolls ever since these dolls arrived.

The picture behind the doll came much later. It is an intriguing painting that I found at a thrift store. I added collage elements on top and a photo of me as a child. At that time, I loved to add candles to all of my collages. The dove came flying in at the end. All about healing and transformation...

I knew nothing about sewing when these dolls appeared. I just allowed the dolls to show me what they needed. I love the tactile aspect of art doll making. It allows me multiple avenues for listening to what is calling to be expressed. I am always in awe of what comes through. I have made almost 100 dolls since that Thanksgiving Day 3 years ago...

7 Comments:

At November 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Interesting doll. But the picture behind her has me wondering about its story.

 
At November 28, 2008 at 6:43 AM , Blogger Camilla La Mer-Soul Art Dolls said...

The picture behind the doll came much later. It is an intriquing painting that I found at a thrift store. I added collage elements on top and a photo of me as a child. At that time, I loved to add candles to all of my collages. The dove came flying in at the end. All about healing and transformation...Thanks for asking!

 
At November 28, 2008 at 10:17 AM , Blogger beadbabe49 said...

I think I love the stories behind the dolls and the processes of making them as much as I love the dolls themselves...thanks for sharing the story behind the doll, camilla!

 
At November 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Camilla La Mer-Soul Art Dolls said...

Thanks for your insight. My art is all about the process. I find it to be a revealing and healing experience when I take the time to listen to the unfolding rather than trying to control the outcome. It is also a process of constantly balancing the many voices that want to produce something aesthetic or criticize what is coming through! Thank you for appreciating the stories as well...

 
At November 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Megan Noel said...

amazing painting!
i love the way you brought the characters to life and then met them!

 
At November 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM , Blogger Padparadscha said...

I am very impressed by that doll, and the fact that you did a 100 more , wow !

 
At December 3, 2008 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Robin said...

And I am thankful for you, your dolls, your shared process and for your blog!!! Also I agree with Megan that it's cool the way your dolls take on a life and personality. Your profile picture is the best so far! Hugs, Robin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home