Soul Shamans

Art Dolls & Process Paintings ~ Camilla La Mer

Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Sea Lioness" Revealed

camilla la mer, art dols, spirit dolls, shaman dolls, healing dolls, bead embroidery, beading, jungian psychology, depth psychology, dream work, personal, the sea
I had to take a new close up photo. Blogspot was misbehaving and refused to put the original on horizontally! Now you won't have to crane your necks to see it! I am increasing my technical skills daily...

camilla la mer, art dols, spirit dolls, shaman dolls, healing dolls, bead embroidery, beading, jungian psychology, depth psychology, dream work, personal, the sea
This is the only photo that gives a full view of her tail. It has cut-out beautiful fabric flowers sewn onto the trim.

camilla la mer, art dols, spirit dolls, shaman dolls, healing dolls, bead embroidery, beading, jungian psychology, depth psychology, dream work, personal, the sea
camilla la mer, art dols, spirit dolls, shaman dolls, healing dolls, bead embroidery, beading, jungian psychology, depth psychology, dream work, personal, the sea
She looks like she is swimming underwater in these photos...

camilla la mer, art dols, spirit dolls, shaman dolls, healing dolls, bead embroidery, beading, jungian psychology, depth psychology, dream work, personal, the sea"The lion's roar is to silence what the shooting star is to the dark of night." Laurens van der Post

Art Doll Soup has been quite a journey this week! I have spent the week recovering from a cyst that ruptured on my ovary. I feel like fireworks are taking place inside of the constellation of my feminine self. Surgery, a hysterectomy, has been scheduled for January. I have been struggling with multiple issues related to my uterus over the past year. I have missed many weeks of work. The emergence, finally, of this lovely doll has helped me to get through a very difficult and, at times, very dark week filled with emotion and grieving. I am beginning to emerge as well...

I am actually now grateful for parts of the challenging process that is taking place. I have only been able to drink liquids. Craving carrot juices and now intensely green drinks. I am both a mad scientist and an artist in the kitchen with my juicer in my determination to restore and supplement my health. (Frenchy, my tiny, wise dog, runs for cover each time I press the on button of the magical, roaring, cacophanous machine!) I am beginning to have clarity on issues that have been clouded by the foods that I used to stuff some deep emotions. Once again, the light is beginning to come out of the darkness.

So here she is! The "Sea Lioness." I used the cover off of one of my pillows for fabric. There are five different types of yarn incorporated into her wild mane of hair. I LOVED making her hair. It is delightful!

I cut the body design freehand based on my design for "My Swimming Self." She ended up with a wonderful curvy shape. I used shells once again for her fingers and toes. She has a beautiful piece of abalone over her heart for protection and radiance.

I used mung beans to stuff her legs and some small baggies of brown basmati rice inside her body to help with her balance. (I realized after doing this that those two ingredients help with my balance as well in one of my favorite Ayurvedic healing foods-Kitcheree.) I do hope that Frenchy doesn't try to eat her!

The word that kept coming to me as I was making her is "Courage." I thought of the lion in the Wizard of Oz. I may embroider some courageous words onto her body. Possibly a ROAR as well! I will also add a picot beaded edge...I'll wait and see what else she might ask for...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At December 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM , Blogger Carol- Beads and Birds said...

As with all your dolls, I have to go back and take another, and another and two more looks. And more. You have a wonderful sense of self that you portray in your dolls. Distress over surgery, or the fact that it is "female" for lack of better description? It should be call "LIBERATION" surgery.

 
At December 6, 2008 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Megan Noel said...

she is wonderful! and she seems very grounded. so i hope she helps you feel grounded, too. i have had ruptured cysts, too -- ow! i hope you are getting some well deserved rest and healing. do you like beats at all? i don't but aren't they rich in iron? maybe you could use some.
xoxo megan

 
At December 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Camilla La Mer-Soul Art Dolls said...

Carol, I like the Liberation concept.

Megan, you are intuitive! I drank my first beet juice cocktail just before writing the Sea Lioness post!

 
At December 7, 2008 at 12:05 AM , Blogger Ellen said...

Camilla, she is delightful! Ditto what Carol said about looking & looking again & then some more.. I love that you fill your doll with your emotions, an outpouring you could say.

Parsley, which also rich in iron is another nice addition to fresh juice. I love how our bodies tell us what we need to heal ourselves.

 
At December 7, 2008 at 6:03 AM , Blogger Susan Elliott said...

I hope your healing is progressing as beautifully as your doll. I believe it's a transformative exercise to stitch this way but you are truly demonstrating that. I can completely relate to desiring the green drinks and understand the clarity that comes when cleansing your body of all that other stuff. This time seems quite transitional for you, in a very good way. Blessings. Susan

 
At December 7, 2008 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Robin said...

The cowardly lion ROARS again! Yay!!!! Oh this one does just tip the scales in fabulousness and your post is right up there too... Hugs, Robin A.

 
At December 10, 2008 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Padparadscha said...

What a beautiful, amazing See Lioness ! I love her hair and tail, and I love the idea of stuffing her with Kitchedi, it is such a comforting and healing thought.

I am sorry to hear you have health issues.

I send you much love. Take care.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home